[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Top Terminal Shape

Subject:   Re: Top Terminal Shape
  Date:    Sun, 18 May 1997 21:21:20 -0500
  From:   "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Subject: Re: Top Terminal Shape
>   Date:  Wed, 14 May 1997 00:30:08 -0400 (EDT)
>   From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>     To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> snip again
> >>
> >>Richard,
> >>
> >>With my background in radio astronomy I can support your claim about
> >>the primary field being 'effectively in the next galaxy' by the time
> >>you get to the top of the secondary,.......however I would consider
> >>the field associated with the top region of an excited secondary in this
> >>case to
> >>have some form of an interplay, albeit of reduced power levels to the
> >>primary example, but an interplay with the shorted turn the topload
> >>represents, nevertheless.  This *may* explain
> >>a part of the different throwing effects seen from a coil system when
> >>the large toploading, shorted turn toroid is tried at varying heights
> >>above the top secondary turn, over and above what effect the
> >>electrostatic field control also being changed has to do with the
> >>experiment.
> >>
> >>I would expect that the shorted turn represented by the toroid, or
> >>toroid cluster (when more than one are typically used such as my
> >>work) would produce a dampening effect on the slow wave rate of
> >>propagation as it approaches the topload end of the secondary.
> >>Perhaps my practice of NEVER going to expanded turn spacing at the
> >>top several turns of a secondary, but adjusting the top turn-toroid
> >>spacing by
> >>experiment, creates the same effect of damping the wave near the top end
> >>of the secondary.  I have been very successful with my approach.
> >>
> >>Grey matter cognitive thoughts encouraged!  Those relying solely on
> >>spreadsheets and other computer simulations may tackle this problem
> >>at great personal risk of failure IMO.
> >>
> >>rwstephens
> >>
> >Robert,
> Robert,
>
> Just started maggey #12 as a concept demostrator.   This is a radical
> departure as it is a largish table top model which I hope to limit to
> 1KW!
> This will hopefully, result in a larger wall mounted maggey #13.
> (successor
> in power level to maggey 11 series of systems).
>
> It relates to the above discussions and prior posts in that the driver
> coil
> is about a .6:1 ratio system  The winding is 6" tall on a 10.6" OD form.
> (#20 wire).  The normal characteristics hangin' off the end of my bench
> in
> mid air by a BNC cable are 3.7ohms wire restance.  4mh inductance.
> 705KHZ
> natural res freq.
>
> I built a primary of 5 turns RG-214 (20uh) with a normalized, tuned
> coupling
> of K=.62!
>
> I jammed the top toroid on the driver (12X4) and the inductance of the
> [...]
Richard,

A K of 0.62, wow!  Interesting that you are getting magnetic coupling
from the primary to your toroid, this system is indeed tight.  I look
forward to hearing of your progress.

Oh, BTW, employing any form of braided conductor as a coil is illegal
don't you know.  I did it too on my Coronatron with RG-214 (double
silvered braid).  At 2.8 kW CW the tank coil will run all day safely.
At 6.5 kW CW it gets too hot in about 5 minutes and a cooldown is
necessary.  I plan to replace it with 1/2 inch copper refrigeration
tubing
as soon as I win the lottery.  I plan to push this thing to at least
15 kW CW.

rwstephens