[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer

Subject:     Re: Transformer
      Date:  Mon, 19 May 1997 21:21:10 +1000
      From: Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
        To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:   Re: Transformer
>   Date:    Sun, 18 May 1997 19:02:26 -0800
>   From:   roger-at-annex-dot-com
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
>            Peter,
>                   My D.C. coil is powered by two larg domestic microwave
>    transformes with the shunts removed.  Each transformer drives a
>    voltage dubbler circut resulting in an output of about 4000 volts
>    DC per transformer.  The voltage dubblers are configured so that
>    the output voltages are opposit each other relative of the
>    transformer case ground.
>          With both transformers conected "back to back" we now have
>    a DC voltage of 8,000 volts.   The power output of this supply
>    is only limited by the size of the capacitors in the voltage
>    dubblers.  Curently I am using somthing like 4 uf caps and getting
>    about 3.5 KVA.
>        Now comes the impotant part....  With a DC sorce such as this
>    We need inductive ballasting between are 8000 volts DC and the Tesla
>    coil circut.  Curently, I use about a dozen microwave oven
>    transformers for this.  I conected the secondarys all in series
>    and electricaly isolated the cores from each other.  The primarys
>    are just left open so these transformers are just serving as
>    inductors.
>--snippo--

Roger,

Thanks for the info. I may have to try this but I have a couple of
questions first.

Are the doubler caps commercial ones or can you make these? I suppose
the voltage rating does not need to be nearly as high as in a TC Primary
Tank. The other problem I can see is getting hold of 14 microwave
tranies at the local tip would take me a month of sundays! Can you use
something else for the inductive ballasting? In fact, can it be
resistive, i.e. a few heater elements spring to mind.

Cheers,

Peter E.