[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Reduceing noise

Subject:  Re: Reduceing noise
  Date:   Mon, 19 May 1997 11:30:55 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<< snip
 >I went to a lot of trouble sound proofing my SG, I completely covered
it
 >with 4" PVC and I left a small hole for the compressed air to get out.
 >was rather perturbed when I discovered I still had to wear my
earmuffs!
 >By the way it has only a 3 1/2" secondary and I am getting about 30"
 >sparks so I guess you guys would hardly put it in the big league!
 >I also noticed the sound level changes dramatically with primary coil
 >tuning.
 >
 >Cheers,
 >
 >Peter E.

Peter, All,

I too, find the spark discharges to be louder than the spark gap.  To
me, it
sounds as if the toroid (I use aluminum drier ducting) is resonating
like a
drum as the sparks emanate.  Maybe someone who has used different types
of
toroids, spun, ducting, rubber inner tubes, etc, can tell us if they
have
noticed any differences in the type of sound using different toroid
materials.  I certainly don't expect much of a reduction in sound, just
different sound characteristic.

Hearing protection -- gotta have it!

John Freau