[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: gas doping of discharge

Subject:  Re: gas doping of discharge
  Date:   Tue, 20 May 1997 07:46:15 -0400
  From:   "Thomas McGahee" <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> >Simplify the experiment. Instead of trying to fill the whole room
> >with argon or whatever, just place a small lecture bottle filled
with
> >the gas of interest on top of the Tesla coil. Before firing it up,
> >adjust the needle valve for a very SMALL amount of gas coming out.
>         Would it be easier to leave the bottle at the base, with a
non
>         conducting tube/pipe to the top?
SNIP
>         regards
>         dwp

dwp,
You must be kidding! The argon *gas* is gonna CONDUCT most likely at
*these* voltages and frequencies. I would imagine that the gas inside
the non-conducting tube will conduct pretty well, too. I do not know
if there is any danger associated with the gas glowing inside the
tube, but I would be cautious until I knew otherwise.