[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Transformer

Subject:  RE: Transformer
  Date:   Tue, 20 May 97 05:21:01 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

you should be able to use any transformer with adequate current rating
for an
inductor - I personally rather doubt that you need 14 of them - a much
smaller
number with a few capacitors in a "pi" filter configuration is really
quite
effective.  A cheap source of transformers could be old computer power
supplies (the analog ones, not the switching ones).  Also, it seems to
me that
the inductive ballast from 8 ft fluorescent lights ought to be good -
you
would want to unpot them and take out the capacitor, of course.

as for "doubler" capacitors - anything with the right voltage rating
will work
- you are only running them at 120 Hz - I have a pile of oil caps that
would
do the job - the filter caps from the microwave will do fine too.

snip
Are the doubler caps commercial ones or can you make these? I suppose
the voltage rating does not need to be nearly as high as in a TC Primary
Tank. The other problem I can see is getting hold of 14 microwave
tranies at the local tip would take me a month of sundays! Can you use
something else for the inductive ballasting? In fact, can it be
resistive, i.e. a few heater elements spring to mind.

Cheers,

Peter E.