[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Need some help in finishing coil...quench caps and choke...

Subject:  Need some help in finishing coil...quench caps and choke...
  Date:   Tue, 20 May 1997 19:49:28 -0500
  From:    Shawn Collins <rubidium-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I decided to build a tesla coil for my senior project and, with the end
of
the year coming up, am getting nervous about completing it in time. I
need
some help in finding .0006 to .001 caps to put on each side of the neon
secondary to ground. I also need advise on building the protection
chokes
that go between the neon and the primary circuit. I am not sure how high
the
voltage should be on the caps, as some sources say 60-70kV.

My secondary is 6" and 25" long with #22 wire.
My primary is 15 turns of 3/8" tubing spaced 3/8"
My neon is 15kV -at- 60mA
My cap is a plate type made of 15 sections using aluminum foil and
freezer
zip-locks (cut open at both ends) and measures .01mfd.
I expect it to operate at 167kHz with a 24" diameter, 4" AL flex tube
torroid.

Any help with caps and chokes is greatly appreciated. I am willing to
buy
used or solicite donations on the caps, as I am a high-school kid with
limited resources (besides energy).

Thanks for your help

Shawn Collins
rubidium-at-worldnet.att-dot-net