[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tube advice needed

Subject:     Re: tube advice needed
       Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 19:51:12 -0700
       From: gene lambert <tesla-at-cyberverse-dot-com>
         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
        CC:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Re: tube advice needed
>   Date:   Tue, 20 May 1997 10:41:08 -0400 (EDT)
>   From:   FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
>     To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> >snip
> >Could tube guru's list their all time favourite tubes, valves,
> > triodes, tetrodes etc.? I am especially interested in devices
> > which will not require too much additional circuitry, i.e. direct
> > replacements for spark gaps (thyratrons?).
>
> > Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what this yields
>

> > steve crawshaw
>   >>
> Steve,
>
> That is quite a treasure trove of tubes!  You're right, there are two
> approaches to using tubes in a Tesla coil,  the usual way is to build a
> modified Armstrong oscillator which uses a vacuum tube, which is used to
> supply power to a parallel tank circuit.  This approach does require
> extra
> components.  These coils are also "inefficient" in producing long sparks
> --
> sparks tend to be flamelike or torchlike, and are typically 6" to 12"
> long,
> but can be up to 3 feet or more if enough power is used.  Tubes such as
> the
> 3-500Z, 304TL, 833A, 4-250A, 811A, etc, are good.  But just about any
> transmitting triode, tetrode, or even pentode, will work.  But the
> tetrodes
> and pentodes require extra components.  Most people probably stick to
> triodes.
>
> The other method; the direct replacement of the spark-gap with a
> thryratron
> or other low impedance switch is very good from a theoretical point of
> view,
> but is tricky to "pull off".
>
> Happy tube coiling!
>
> John Freau

John, I am the guy that has a CX140 thyratron.
What you mentioned about using a thyratron as a "switch" or spark-gap,
is what I would like to do. I am a little weak on the theoretical
aspect, however, and so need some help. Is there any information that
you know of, that goes into using a tube in this matter? Has anyone out
there done it?

Gene Lambert