[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Refining 10kv -at- 23ma

Subject:  Re: Refining 10kv -at- 23ma
  Date:   Thu, 22 May 1997 17:37:07 Eastern Daylight Time
  From:  "Mad Coile{" <ts5815-at-devrycols.edu>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Subject:     Refining 10kv -at- 23ma
>      Date:  Wed, 21 May 1997 12:40:41 +0000
>      From:  Chris Gardner <gchristo-at-clt.mindspring-dot-com>
>        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Greetings from the East Coast
>
>Last night I set a personal record... an 11" discharge!!
>
>My current system is as follows;
>2.375 x 10.5 inch secondary #30 enamel cotton wrapped
>30 degree #6 solid primary 3.5 inch first turn 3/8ths spacing
>4"x1" torroid (teenage mutant ninja turtle figure innertube :)
>
>.004ufd (calculated) stacked cap ; 10 layers .006 poly per plate all
>dunked in min oil
>
>rq style cylinder gap with small squirrel cage fan 12 gaps at .018
>(currently running 8 of em)
>
>10kv 23ma (yes, its one of those) furnace transformer
>
>All hookup wire is #6 stranded, and the only clips are to the primary,
>and I have tried to make these as eff. as possible by soldering small
>sections of brass tubing to the teeth of the clip for a higher surface
>area connection. This is the classic layout, Transformer in par to Cap,
>and gap in between Primary and Cap.
>
>This is my latest cap and the most I have gotten out of the thing to
>date. I get the feeling I am starting to push the limit of this
>particular cap-trans match up as the transformer starts warming up after
>only about 30 secs of runtime. I am controlling the unit with a 20a
>bench Variac and I got that output at wide open (130v)
>
>What I would appreciate any input on would be;
>Is this level of output good, average or paltry? I know I can get more
>if I simply start adding neons (thanks Chip :) but I am really
>interested in maximizing EFFICIENCY, what is the absolute most I can get
>out of a two coil system without simply throwing more power at it. Is it
>time for a rotary? (I am of course, looking for an excuse to build one)
>Also, can anyone reccomend a reasonable Safety Gap width for this power
>level? I rather like my tough little OBIT, and I dont want to cook it.
>
>Thanks

Good job on your small coil! Can't tell you your at a good efficiency or
not, but i can say your eff. is better than mine. My first coil uses two
OBIT's in parallel, .01uF salt water caps, 1/4" coper tubing
primary(cylinderical), 22awg mag wire round a 3.5" diam for 15", using
4"
diameter stovepiping ellbows for about 1.25 feet across toroid. I get
about
5 to 6 inch good discharge and can see corona out to about 8 or 9
inches.
The funny thing about this setup is that it doesn't discharge unless
there
is a ground in proximity to it. Any suggestions? With another setup I
use a
small sphere about .5 feet diameter and .07 uF caps and get about 5" of
discharge into the air without giving it any ground. I would appreciate
any
suggestions and I would like to know how you made your caps and how much
they cost.

Tristan Stewart,CET
(Ohio)