[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Refining 10kv -at- 23ma

Subject:      Re: Refining 10kv -at- 23ma
       Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 16:39:01 +1200
       From: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Tristan,

<big snip>

> Good job on your small coil! Can't tell you your at a good
> efficiency or not, but i can say your eff. is better than
> mine. My first coil uses two OBIT's in parallel, .01uF salt water
> caps, 1/4" coper tubing primary(cylinderical), 22awg mag wire round
> a 3.5" diam for 15", using 4" diameter stovepiping ellbows for
> about 1.25 feet across toroid. I get about 5 to 6 inch good
> discharge and can see corona out to about 8 or 9 inches. The funny
> thing about this setup is that it doesn't discharge unless there is
> a ground in proximity to it. Any suggestions?

I have seen exactly this running at 400-odd kHz with a medium sized
coil running with a terrible primary L/C ratio. The primary losses
were horrendous. The cap was an old oil-filled transmitter power
supply smoothing job. This was my first "successful" mains-driven
coil. I gave it away :)  I got about 20" corona and 14" attached
sparks in that machine. I have since scored 4.5' with the same
transformer and same _capacitance_ but using a much lower frequency
and a much better capacitor.
    BTW, I'm sorry I haven't replied re the extra info you sent. I
will soon. I was going to check tuning and a few other things. Maybe
Ed Sonderman  would if he has time. He is pretty good at those things.

Malcolm