[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isotropic Capacity

Subject:  Re: Isotropic Capacity
  Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 03:08:26 +0000
  From:   "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

--------------------------------------  Big snip

>>  John Couture

  Dave -

  An isolated sphere in space has an isotropic dielectric (space)
extending
from it in all directions to infinity. The capacitance of this sphere is
fixed quantity -

        pf = 1.4 D

  where D is the diameter in inches. The sphere would have this
capacitance
regardless of where it is in the universe.

The capacitance cannot be isotropic because it is a fixed value and does
not
extend to infinity. Note that the capacitance is the same whether the
sphere
is charged or uncharged. The charging is only an indication of the
number of
coulombs on the sphere. For example, the capacitance

        farads = Q/V

 indicates that capacitance can be expressed as   'coulombs per volt'.

  The energy to get those coulombs on the sphere is -

        joules = .5 CV^2

  A coiler would be interested in the exact capacitance value of the
toroid
when on the top of the secondary coil because with the secondary coil
inductance it determines the operating frequency of the TC.

The capacitance of the sphere is higher when isolated in space than when
on
the TC secondary coil. Do any coilers know why?

  John Couture