[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isotropic Capacity

Subject:     Re: Isotropic Capacity
      Date:  Mon, 26 May 1997 07:56:49 GMT
      From:  jim.fosse-at-bjt-dot-net (Jim Fosse)
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Sun, 25 May 1997 18:27:36 -0500, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>, you
wrote:

>Subject:  Re: Isotropic Capacity
>  Date:   Fri, 23 May 1997 09:30:41 -0500
>  From:   David Huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Richard, All,
>Are you saying that a tethered conductive balloon at say 30 meters
>could have several thousands volts wrt ground,
Yes.

> or do you need two
>spheres at different heights?

No

>I'm guessing there is no practical way
>to use this gradient to do any useful work, like say charge the
>primary cap of a TC.

Can do, IF you are willing to wait a long time.  HI Z implies a long
time constant.

Dave,
        (Old memory here) Several people have been killed by the
discharge from insulated Radio Towers that they came in contact with.
These tower were charged by the atmospheric electric field. (again,
this is an old memory here, don't ask me for biblo data;(

        Regards,

        jim