[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotor BPS

Subject:      Re: Rotor BPS
      Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 10:25:15 -0800
      From:  Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
        To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Gary Weaver wrote:

> I have been thinking about building a rotor with 6 contacts on the non
> rotating disk and 7 contacts on the rotating disk.  This will give me 42
> BPS
> per RPM.  Using a 1725 RPM motor it turns 28.75 RPM's per second.  28.75
> 42 = 1207 BPS. Is that to many BPS?

Yes, IMO 400 BPS is the point of diminishing returns for the arc
dynamics.
The rest of your available power should go into increasing Vpri.

BTW, on those clever M x N gap arrangements, the _electrode dwell time_
is usually the killer.  If for instance your gap mentioned above has a
9" electrode circle and 1/4" dia electrodes, then the dwell time will
be over 600 usec, which is over 5 complete beat envelopes!

Also, the prime power source will be shorted by the gap for a much
higher % of the time -- in the above example, 75% of the time!

% time shorted = (1/4"elect. * 2 * 42 breaks/rev) / (9"dia * pi)

-GL