[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mini Coils and Streamer Quality

Subject: Re: Mini Coils and Streamer Quality
  Date:  Mon, 26 May 1997 13:47:37 -0400 (EDT)
  From:  richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

snip

>     This was fun! :)  I am going to increase the supply capability
>to 100W (was around 40W) and try some more. The nice thing was seeing
>the full range of TC-type discharges in table-top miniature without
>wondering what was going to be struck next.
>     Based on this, I would say that if your BPS is still rather low
>and the sparks assume something of a "crackling" quality, try upping
>the break rate before increasing input voltage. I was amazed at how
>little dependence there was between cap voltage/energy and attached
>streamer length.
>
>Malcolm

Malcolm,

Your last sentence said it all.  The power is the thing.  We were using
.01ufd total system cpacitance on maggey 11-A and just upping our rep
rate
to get 100" sparks! Now I am using a .03ufd cap, lower rep rate, and
higher
inductance resonator coil and hitting 124" with similar KVA ratings.
The
spark won't necessarily grow with increased capacity in the tank.

Richard Hull, TCBOR