[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isotropic Capacity

Subject:  Re: Isotropic Capacity
  Date:   Mon, 26 May 1997 13:47:27 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 06:27 PM 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Subject:  Re: Isotropic Capacity
>  Date:   Fri, 23 May 1997 09:30:41 -0500
>  From:   David Huffman <huffman-at-FNAL.GOV>
>    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Richard, All,
>Are you saying that a tethered conductive balloon at say 30 meters
>could have several thousands volts wrt ground, or do you need two
>spheres at different heights? I'm guessing there is no practical way
>to use this gradient to do any useful work, like say charge the
>primary cap of a TC. The risk of having something hanging in the sky
>that lightning could find has got to be a major drawback. :-(
>Dave Huffman
>
>Dave,

Absolutely!  The size of the ballon would determine the current and
thus,
the lethality.  Fortunely, wire is heavy and ballon lift is poor or we
would
have more deathes from inadvertent advetisement ballons.  Tesla
considered
this, and even spent a small fortune preparing for such antenna balloon
lifts in Colorado in 1899, but never used his expensive balloons.

Mahlon Loomis used this source of HV to transmit the first radio signals
between two remote mountain tops here in Virginia in the mid 1860's!!
(patented) It was true radio and used true tuned circuits. (even though
he
never knew any of this)  He used a kite and a wire to a keyswitch to
ground.
The morse key would tap and spark the 1/4 wave antenna to excitement.
On
another mountain an equal wire and kite received the signal to actuate a
delicate relay. Loomis noted that the wires must be identical length or
distance of reception was cut to near zero.

The Corums replicated Loomis actual experiment a few years back using
his
same crude apparatus and helium balloons.

A single balloon and wire are all you need to suck the juice from the
sky!!!
This is E.S charge which can go dynamic when the charge is grounded from
the
isotropic capacity of the balloon.  Ideally, the exact gradient for any
given day would be best determined with two idential balloons and wires
an isolated differential voltmeter.  Just make sure the ballons are
small
and the lowest one is up about 40 feet and that the second balloon is at
least 10-20 feet farther up.

Richard Hull, TCBOR