[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Need help with spark Gaps

Subject:  Need help with spark Gaps
  Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 21:49:24 +1000
  From:  Peter Electric <elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au>
    To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

I have recently completed my first working coil and I wonder if some of
you experienced coilers out there could give me some suggestions on a
good gap to use.

The coil is powered by 15Kv 60Ma (until I can scrounge some extra
trannies) and it has .015uF roled poly and 15T (tapped at 8) on the
primary and 3.5" by 21" secondary with a 20" by 10" toroid. At the
moment I am using a airblast gap. I find this works well at about 25psi
but the compressor runs out of air rapidly and its a bit of a hassle
being tied to the air hose.

I thought of building a rotary but some of the previous posts suggested
that these were not good on Neon sign trannies. Does this reccomendation
hold for synchronous gaps as well?

Should I go for a multiple gap system (ala cylinder.txt) with a muffin
fan, and if so, how many gaps should I use and how large?

Cheers,

Peter E.