[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Help with this equati

Subject:      RE- Help with this equati
       Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 20:53:16 GMT
       From:  robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        I'm writing while on the road, so regrets for not being
        of more specific help:

        1) --
        You do  =not=  have to express the equasion in the form
          "d1 = ....  "
        in order to use the equasion to find values for d1 (I
        assume that's your objective).  Simply substitute
        numerical values for all the other variables, and then
        do the arithmetic (all right, it's algebra, but only
        high-school algebra that you'll have to do).

        2) --
        Most if not all of the major general purpose mathematics
        software packages will solve an algebraic equasion for
        any of the variables within the equasion.  (They will also
        automatically express an equasion in terms of any of its
        variables).  Such packages include:

            "Maple";  "Derive";  "Mercury";  "Mathematica"

        etc.

        Most such packages are sold for a pittance in the
        campus book stores of many colleges (in virtually all
        colleges having any sort of science/engineering curricula).
        You may/may not be asked for student/faculty id when
        making the purchase.  [ Hint: ask someone with id (anyone
        you encounter in the bookstore) to make the purchase for
        you.]
                                        Calculatingly,

                                        Robert Michaels
                                        Detroit, USA

T>                                                   /    2
T>         C =(1+ (0.2781 - d2/d1)) x  2.8  x      /  2 pi
(d1-d2)(d2/2)