[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H/D Ratios

Subject:  Re: H/D Ratios
  Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 17:03:53 -0600
  From: "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To: "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: John C.

Hi John:

We usually calculate our design lengths to 88% of the actual 1/4 wave
length.  This seems to work out well for most coils running in the 3-8
kva
range.  We sort of reversed engineering our actual physical measurements
obtain this value.  We use 88% of the calculated 1/4 wave calculated
wire
length for the design.  This of course assumes a toroid is being used
that
is in line with the design parameters, ie, a 20 inch toroid on a 12 inch
dia. coilform and a 34 in. toroid on a 18-20 in. coilform.

We're up and running back in Wisconsin --- and freezing!  Yikes -- highs
of
only 55 degrees in late May -- what a nasty spring.

Stay warm in SD -- regards,

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: H/D Ratios
> Date: Tuesday,May 27,1997 7:17 AM
>
> Subject:  Re: H/D Ratios
>   Date:   Tue, 27 May 1997 06:32:58 +0000
>   From:   "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>     To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

> At 05:55 AM 5/23/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >Subject:       Re: H/D Ratios
> >       Date:   Thu, 22 May 1997 08:46:30 +1200
> >       From:   "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> >         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >

> >Dear List,
> >           Please indulge me once again :)
> >
> >> I have seen several references to a physical 1/4 wavelength of wire
> >> being used to wind a secondary. What is the 1/4 wave length based on?
> >> Is it free space or based on some velocity factor? Is there some magic
> >> to be had by striving for this.
> >>
> >> Based on no facts at all my next secondary will have a H/D ratio of
PI.