[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H2 driver

Subject:     Re: H2 driver
       Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 08:14:20 -0700
       From: gene lambert <tesla-at-cyberverse-dot-com>
         To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
        CC:   tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject: H2 driver
>   Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:55:20 -0400 (EDT)
>   From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>     To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> All,
>
> I just cobbled up my table top maggey driver to monkey around with some
> ideas which may make maggey 13.  I am labeling this table model maggey
> 12.
> I am using a Hydrogen thyratron 3C35 for the switch.  I am pulsing it at
> 1khz rate and its uses about 80-100 watts from the DC supply in this
> mode.
> I have the driver just running as a simple coil here now and I get about
> 4" spark when tuned to resonance (500khz) and approached with a grounded
> rod.  It is bright and noisey (k=.55).  I am worried that it is still
> too
> high impedance a driver due to the high Q developed by an otherwise low
> circuit!  The darned tube actually supplies current to the primary tank
> for
> 1.6 usec (far too short-I think).  The coil, due to a large 12"X4"
> toroid,
> doesn't break out and a stub antenna 10 feet away collects the RF soup
> into
> an Oscope.  I count 50+ rings in the beautifully decremented envelope.
> huge Q for this coupling! (by normal cogitatin').  I just have to work
> on
> the phased back to back idea.
>
> A normal neon 60 ma 6KV AC tranny with a rotary gives about an 8" spark
> at
> 160 watts.
>
> The coil is a 10.5 diameter by 6" tall form wound with 20 ga. wire.  the
> primary is RG 214 of 5 turns.  Cap is ~ .008ufd and the tap is at about
> 18-20uh.
> "Sqwat and Hot".
>
> I'll keep you folks up on this one.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard:
Please keep us posted. Question; Have you tried perhaps using two tubes,
like you mentioned before? Also, since you mention that tubes don't
conduct long enough, couldn't a  driver circuit, be designed to allow
you to increase the on-time? I know this would also increase the heating
of the tube being used. This would be a good time to use a tube with a
greater plate dissipation, or two tubes, either in parallel.  Or, like
in many amplifiers, in a 'push pull' configuration.

Gene Lambert