[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com[SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 1:04 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

>>bmack wrote:
>>

>>> Seeing so many RSG posts, and the problems associated with
>>> them, made me wonder why not move on to something better?
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>> Personally,I believe since we are now 100 years hence, we should be able
>>> to process a good deal of power without all that arcing and sparking
>>> in the primary circuit. Leave that for the secondary!
>>
>>Why not move on to solid-state, and avoid the moving parts as well?
>>

>>-GL
>>

>Wow!  That is great!  Just what we have been waiting for!  What catalog can
>I order a solid state switch that can commutate 20 -50 megawatt pulses with
>peak currents near 1000amps at 20,000 volts about 500 times per second?  Oh
>yeah, its gotta cost me no more than my current gap system.
>(~$100.00)......Also it would be nice if I could repair it if something goes
>highorder in it.  I eagerly await the reply....I too, am tired of farting
>around with all this mechanical junk!!!!
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

        I work at a high-power (up to 250KW) swiching power supply company.
We build AC, DC, RF, ect. switchers all which run at the very least in the
3KW range.  There are devices and systems that could do the spark gap thing
but they are far out of the reach or normal folks (very complex, very
expensive, very unforgiving).  On the bright side, there are better devices
being developed all the time.  I always keep an eye out for this stuff.  For
now, however, nothing would be of use to us.  Some vacuum relays are getting
close but they really aren't solid-state or cheap.  IGBTs and FETs are
getting closer too but still not cheap or easy.  Power companies use big
SCRs in their high-voltage DC lines but I don't know much about them.  The
current or frequency is no problem, its the voltage nothing can handle well.
        Now if you want to run continous that's not a technical problem.
For about $30,000 you could vaporize your secondary coil and everything
within range.  $15,000 would get you a very nice TC driver.  (2500 watts,
300-400KHz variable, power regulation, computer control, load matching, etc.)

So, if you want a solid state spark gap nothing practical is out there.

If you want a nice solid-state primary drive it is big $$$$.

        Terry