[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cheap vacuum pump

From: 	Thornton, Russ #CSR2000[SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 6:35 AM
To: 	'Tesla discussion Group'
Subject: 	RE: Cheap vacuum pump

>Subject: 	Cheap vacuum pump
>
>Years ago I read an article in an ancient volume of "Scientific
>American" magazine.  The author described how to build a vacuum pump
>using a rotary compressor from a discarded refridgerator.  He vented
>the freon, drained out the old oil, & refilled it with vacuum pump
>oil.  Of course, he had to solder on a few pieces of copper tube for
>hookup.  He used it to make a homebrew x-ray tube, so it must've
>pulled a pretty hard vacuum!  For poor coilers who can't afford a real
>pump, this sounds like a cheap & interesting experiment that could
>lead to better poly caps.  When I get back to the US I plan to try it
>myself.
>
>Greg

This may be off the subject by some but the details of this compressor
to vacuum pump conversion is supposed to be in the Bell Jar excerpts
listed in Lyndsey Publication.  I have yet to order my copy.  My
question is this:  How do you recognize a rotary vane compressor?
I know Whirlpool made one but that is the only manufacturer that I am
sure did.  I have been told that the compressor housing will be round
for a rotary and oblong(oval) for a piston type.
I have cut apart an oblong case to find a piston(broken) compressor.
Does anyone have any experience with this and where a good cheap source
might be?

>Russ Thornton
>CSR 2040,
>Building 989, Rm.  A1-N20
>Phone: (407) 494-6430
>Email: thorntor-at-rs.pafb.af.mil

List Moderator's Note: Bell Jar articles can be ordered from the Bell Jar at:

http://www.tiac-dot-net/users/shansen/belljar/index.htm

You might look for a used appliance dealer that buys and sells used refrigerators.
My favorite is the old Fridgidaire that used Freon 114 because it is a low pressure gas
that required a large displacement compressor. The Frigidaire compressors had a ziz-zag
shaped piece of metal wrapped around them for a heat exchanger which gave it a
multipointed star look when viewed from the top.