[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Furnace transformer

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 02, 1997 10:38 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Furnace transformer

On Sunay, November 02, 1997 10:27 AM Pascal LeBlanc
[SMTP:illusio-at-nbnet.nb.ca] wrote;

> Hey there,
>
> I'm kinda new around here, kinda building my first coil...
 (no need to say more I think uh? ;)  well I'm thinking of using an oil
furnace transformer to drive my primary but I think the transformer 10kv,
sparks from the transformer alone should be about how long?  right now
they're about 1 millimeter long, shoudn't it be like half an inch long or
so?

Pascal, your transformer should make an 1/8 inch spark that you should be
able to pull out to a one inch flame like arc. Most of the time that an
OBIT (Oil Burner Ignition Transformer) acts like yours it is due to carbon
tracking inside the pitch. To attempt a repair, put the OBIT in an old
backing pan an in the oven at 300 to 400 degrees untill, when tilted, you can
hear the liquid pitch slosh around, then allow to cool, and arc test BOTH
sides to ground (if only one side arcs to the case then you'll have a 5 KV
transformer, still workable). Hopefully this will get your OBIT kicking
again.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/