[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cheap vacuum pump

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 2:54 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Cheap vacuum pump

On Monday, November 03, 1997 6:35 AM Russ Thorton
[SMTP:ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil] wrote;

> This may be off the subject by some but the details of this compressor
> to vacuum pump conversion is supposed to be in the Bell Jar excerpts
> listed in Lyndsey Publication.  I have yet to order my copy.  My
> question is this:  How do you recognize a rotary vane compressor?
> I know Whirlpool made one but that is the only manufacturer that I am
> sure did.  I have been told that the compressor housing will be round
> for a rotary and oblong(oval) for a piston type.
> I have cut apart an oblong case to find a piston(broken) compressor.
> Does anyone have any experience with this and where a good cheap source
> might be?

Hi, Russ, I've converted several of the origional Rolator compressors to
vacuum pumps and yes the housing is comprised of two ribbed hemispheres
bolted together with eight 1/2 inch charrage bolts. The piston type
compressors tend to be more oval shaped. The old Rolators are still
occasionaly to be found either in  the trash or sometimes at yard sales.
There are some automobile air-conditioner compressors that are suppose to
be of the rotory vane type but which ones I have no idea, perhaps someone
who works on them in auto repair could identify which ones are rotory vane
types.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/