[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Furnace transformer

From: 	Daryl P. Dacko[SMTP:mycrump-at-cris-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 03, 1997 4:17 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Furnace transformer

At 10:27 PM 11/2/97 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
say more I think uh? ;)  well I'm thinking of using an oil furnace
transformer to drive my primary but I think the transformer is not working
properly, it says it's rated at 10Kv/23ma.  10kv, sparks from the
transformer alone should be about how long?  right now they're about 1
millimeter long, shouldn't it be like half an inch long or so?

>Thanks,
>Pascal

Yep, about 1/2" is right. Sounds like you have a shorted secondary.

You can try bakeing it to re-melt the tar, or chipping the tar off to
see if it's a carbon track causing the short. Look in the archives for
details...

Daryl