[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 04, 1997 4:18 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

Richard Hull wrote:

> Our own Dave Sharpe has been trying to interest me in these things.  They
> are still stacked devices (effectively series chains).  I usually end it all
> by telling him to get a couple (one to show and one to blow) and then we can
> roll up our sleeves.  Dave has intimated they are in the kilobuck plus range.
>
> I'm still waitin'.....  Could it be that they are pricey?  Anyone wanna get
> one and try it out?  I figure in about 10-15 years we'll get 'em at hamfests
> for a few bucks...I'll wait until I can buy a big bag full for $20.00.

One of the reasons I'm mentioning these things at all is the hope that
someone
might have an uncle in the biz who could land a few samples.  No luck so
far.

>  At least the H2 thyratrons are forgiving.  I have sparked a bunch of 'em
> (Freau'd them) and molten metal has flown through the device, but they all
> came back.  I think these solid state devices would be fused by a minor
> oversight.

True, it's happened before with our SCR stacks.  But when they run, they
run forever!  However, when devices this large fail, you can actually
perform an autopsy by sawing them open and examining the silicon slab by
eye.
Overvoltage, sec breakdown, and di/dt failures produce distinctively
different artifacts on the etching.

-GL