[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: First coil

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 05, 1997 6:33 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: First coil

<< 90mils of polyethylene (is this the same as Polythene?) to withstand
 15000v AC sounds very thick (2.3mm) which sounds impossible to roll in
 to a rolled capacitor.  I know i can make this thickness up with
 multiple layers of thinner Poly.

 Also does anyone have a good spark gap and safety gap design (without
 air quenching as I dont have access to a compressor)

 Is the best primary design the saucer shape? for this size TC?

 Anyway, hopefully i will be able to start my TC soon.

 Thanks to those who have helped so far.

 Matt. >>

Matt,

I don't know what polythene is, you definitely want polyethylene.  I have
built three rolled poly caps.  The first two used a single layer of .062"
thick poly (today I would use two layers of .030).  The second used two
layers of .062 (produced about .005 mfd).  These went in a 6.0" dia pvc pipe.
 The first two both failed at 12 kv.  One layer of .062 (or even two layers
of .030) is only safe to run at maybe 8 to 9 kv.  For 15 kv, I would build
two caps using two layers of .030 each.  These will produce about .02 mfd
each for a total of .01 mfd in series.  I remember these costing about $80.00
to $90.00 each to build.  If you need .02 mfd or larger, you will either need
to make 4 of these and use in series/parallel - or buy a commercial cap.
 Your total investment will be about the same.  I believe one cap built with
three layers of .030 poly will work safely at 12 kv.  In a 6" pvc pipe, you
may only get somewhere in the neighborhood of .015 mfd.  I did use aluminum
roof flashing for the plates.

For a spark gap, I would recommend the Richard Quick cylindrical gap.  I have
built two, they work great.

For the primary, I would build a flat spiral primary using soft copper
tubing.

Ed Sonderman