[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dump the RSG!

From: 	randy-at-gte-dot-net[SMTP:randy-at-gte-dot-net]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 06, 1997 1:36 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Dump the RSG!

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

I am very interested in the answer to this.
What I have been pondering lately, alot, is:
What if the B+ supply to the tube anode was fed
THRU THE PRIMARY, relying on the reactance of the
primary/secondary combo to present the proper impedance
to the tube, rather than a near-short-circuit.
OF course, there are alot of safety considerations.
Naturally, the load will vary greatly according to what
the arc "sees" at any given moment.
There are countless other considerations.
I would just like the consensus of the group as to
_whether_ this could work.
Again, I am talking in terms of pulsed operation, along
the lines of the original post. NOT a cw tube coil.
I know Richard Hull says that thermionic emission just won't
cut the mustard, but sometimes you DO have to dump a ton
(or tonne) of bricks on my head to make me think straight.
I am trying to find out if an acquaintance of mine from some
years ago is still around, he was/is a vacuum tube design engineer,
and I recall him telling me about designing a tube for use in
switching currents to a commercial induction furnace, for switching
the juice on and off, and I have to believe that would involve
huge emissions. And I dont mean fifty years ago; when I last saw
him, he was retired, but still designing freelance, due to popular
demand. (I am 37 years old)
Food for thought....
Randy