[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unpotting my Neon (cont.)

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 05, 1997 11:11 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: FW: Unpotting my Neon (cont.)

>    Adam, I am new here, could you explain what you mean by "mini pig",
>it sounds like something I may want to build.

OK, here it goes...

After cleaning, repairing and re-assembling unpotted neon sign
transformers, you have to repot them in some kind of insulator (Paraffin
or oil) to restore their insulation.  If you run a NST unpotted, it will
arc from the outside of the secondary to the core, frying some windings
and maybe starting a fire.  Before repotting, I replaced all the
transformer's mica and cardboard insulating strips with 90mil LDPE.  Much
nicer looking, and less messy.

I put the transformer I worked on today into a shiny new standard paint
can, purchased at Home Depot.  I hot-glued the transformer to the bottom
of the can, and filled the can with Exxon Univolt N61 transformer oil, as
is used in pole transformers.  I moved all the high and low voltage
bushings from the old tranformer case to the lid of the paint can, and
grounded the transformer core to the can itself & the lid.  I removed the
paint can's wire handle.  Now, what I have looks A LOT like a pole pig
(the distribution transformers you see on telephone poles) except that it
is smaller, hence "mini pig".  It even hums like a pole pig.
Electrically, it performs a bit better than original transformer (two
laminate layers removed from each shunt), and now it is more easily
repairable.  I'll put a picture up on my website, as soon as I can borrow
a digital camera.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net