[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Running a compressor continuously

From: 	Aric C Rothman[SMTP:Aric_C_Rothman-at-email.whirlpool-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 06, 1997 9:33 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Running a compressor continuously

     I am trying to vacuum desiccate my polyethylene-paper-foil capacitor
     with a used piston compressor pump.  I attached a gauge to the vacuum
     side and it was pulling 26.5 in. of mercury.  After about 2 hours of
     noncontinuous operation, I measured a drop in capacitance from 0.01 uF
     to 0.009 uF, which I attribute to dehydration, so things appear to be
     on track.  I'd like to know if it is safe to run the compressor
     continuously in this state (26.5 in Hg).  After about 1/2 hour, the
     compressor gets too hot to lay hands on for more than 5 seconds.
     After another 1/2 hour, there is no further noticeable increase in
     compressor housing temperature.

     I just ran about 1/2 qt. of Mobil vacuum oil into the pump.  Can I
     leave this thing running all day?  Eight hours?

     Aric