[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- Transformer oil

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 08, 1997 9:12 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- Transformer oil

        You're not ignorant.

        I can tell that easily from your post.

        Actually, from the heading on your post:  You're David Huffman!
        (-- but -- gak!! -- a  =government=  man, or Huff-man as it
        were).

        Anyway -- inhibited oil contains anti-oxidants.   They inhibit
        (hint!) oxidation.  They also degrade electrical properties of
        the oil somewhat.   And they're apt to raise the price.

        If you're going to get your oil, run home with it,  and
        immediately seal it up inside a capacitor - out of contact
        with air - I cannot see where inhibited oil is necessary.

        Ontheotherhand, if you're going to keep it around - until you
        get around -- to using it for something....    Or, if you're
        going to get 25 gals. and use 2 this year and another 2 in
        in 1999....    Then maybe you'd better be getting double-
        inhibited oil.

                                 - - - - - -

        BTW, and FWIW.  I mean IMHO,  and TTBOMK -- you can always
        pretend to be a third party:

        Them:  "Okay, you wan 'dat inibited, or no?"

        You:  "Duh, da boss, he jus'say get oil, he don' say nuthin
               'bout no bitted oil.  I jus' gotta get some afor
               he get back.  Whatsa difference?"

        Them:  "Inhibited's got anti-oxidant, costs $2.75 more a
                a gallon."

                                - Or -

        Them:  "Okay, you wan 'dat inhibited, or no?"

        You:   I don't usually do the oil purchasing around here,
               I'm try to help out during a manpower shortage this
               week... I've got this requisition... from engineering
               (or production, or product development, or the night
               janitor...) for oil.  Whatsa difference?"

        Them:  "Inhibited's got anti-oxidant, costs $0.10 more a
                a gallon."

                                              And that's AFAIK,
                                              in -- Detroit, USA

                                              Robert Michaels