[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Superconducting magnifier

From: 	Ted[SMTP:tedric-at-generation-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 2:28 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Superconducting magnifier

Steve,

First of all, thanks for the physics. But haven't I already mentioned
critical magnetic field in my post? I guess you were just trying to remind me.

Although I am no expert in this field, I believe you are not too, since you
used the qualitative term "intense". May I ask you how much is intense, half
a Tesla? a Tesla or 10 Tesla? You are simply not talking science.

Since I am no expert, I asked a teacher in my physics department. This
gentle man used to work with a cyclotron and knows very well about other
particle accelerators. I believe he is qualified to comment. As he
explained, a tesla coil, a solenoid, as the lenght of the coil increases,
the magnetic field alongside the coil decreases, because the magnetic field
"spreads". He also said that tesla coil don't generate enough magnetic
field. He is right, since a tesla coil is a AIR CORE solenoid.

If you are not convinced yet, try this (my) experiment at your risk: Get a
secondary, connect it to an arc welder, put the coil in a horzontal position
and lay some iron nails on the floor around it. Turn on the welder, and
observe careful if any nails around coil (the position where you place the
primary) move at all.

Since the primary and secondary are closely coupled, their seperated
distance is small, even there is thousands A of currrent in the secondary,
there is not enough magnetic field to reach the primary and renders it
useless. What about the secondary inside the primary? Since we use liquid
nitrogen as insulator, the distance between them will be even smaller. After
all this explaination, why don't you figure the answer out yourself? BTW,
how many tesla does your (or the others') magnifier generate?

And that's the physics for you.

Ted