[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Terminal capacitance

From: 	Ted[SMTP:tedric-at-generation-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 7:40 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Terminal capacitance

Hi all,

If you have ever seen a big tesla coil or magnifier in action, you will
usually find this giant torroid on the top of it. Well, it is alright if you
have the space to put it.

However, I am build this small (classic) coil for my college, it has a
really tiny resonator, and I am going to put a 20" x 4" torroid on the top
of it. I still want to lower its resonant frequency by increasing the
terminal capacitance, but without adding any torroids. And I have this idea:
"Take a 5 gallon polyethylene container, drill a hole on its bottom, then
stick aluminium foil to its inner surface as well as the bottom (both in and
out, for the bottom only). Now pass a screw through the hole or whatever
that makes the inner foils and the outer foil electrically connected, then
close the lid and place it on the torroid and make them electrically
connected as well. This will serve as a poly-air hybrid capacitor." Will
this work without any disadvantages? Without doing damage to the capacitor,
discharge sparks only from the torroid. Any ideas?

Ted