[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Toroid Design Features

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 7:00 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Toroid Design Features

On Sunday, November 09, 1997 10:08 AM Alfred C. Erpel
[SMTP:aerpel-at-op-dot-net] wrote;

>     Your biggest cost having this part spun will be the tooling that it is
> spun on ($1200 ?). I have been wondering about a faceted toroid.  Break the
> toroid up into many sections (8, 10, 20 or more) and then you can bend each
> (identical)section from flat sheet metal and weld/braze them together to
> form a toroid consisting entirely of planes.

The only problem I see with that idea is that you are going to have
premature coronal breakout on the welded edges. You would have to be
very diligent at rounding off all the edges.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/