[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pseudo Toroid Design

From: 	Chuck Curran[SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 09, 1997 8:34 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Pseudo Toroid Design

>From: Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
>Sent: Sunday, November 09, 1997 2:16 PM
>To: Tesla List
>Subject: Pseudo Toroid Design

Hello Fr. Tom

I found your comments to be most helpful.  The first item that helped a lot
was the point relative to the center section of the toroid.  I had become
fairly sure, remembering past points made over the last couple of years that
the center didn't appreciably impact the toroid's effectiveness.  I am never
willing to go charging off without, ah, double checking however!
Your description of a toroid design was very interesting.  I do have one
question about the 2 inch diameter thin walled aluminum pipe.  I had been
using as large a radius as possible on my bigger coil to prevent early
breakout.  Specifically I presently have a 56" diameter toroid with a 10 1/2
inch diameter "Donut" as the outside ring.  I chose that diameter to keep
the spark in until the toroid was holding as big a charge as possible.  How
would the 10 foot diameter sheet metal ring capped top and bottom by the 2
inch pipe rings do on breakout??  Have you made one of these already?
I was going to draw up a print to show a toroid that you might see clearer
if I describe it like one of those cookie tins we all seem to see around
Christmas.  It would be thick like the cookie tin across the entire
diameter.  I was going to draw a flat disk with the edges radiused up at a
6" radius covering 90 degrees.  One of these could be place on top of the
other and then TIG welded together.  A central supporting tube would have to
be installed internally in the exact center for proper support if a light
gauge aluminum sheet were used, like 16 or 18 gauge.  This shape would
eliminate the double curve required on a standard shape toroid and reduce
fabrication costs---Design for Manufacturability and save the wallet!  Since
my current toroid is 56 inches in diameter, I would hope for something in
this range.  If they would tell me they could do it with a 5 1/2 inch radius
for less money instead of 6", I'd be very pleased, since the exact dimension
is not critical to me, as long as it was a constant around the entire spun
half.
Your idea would really be a lot less expensive, I am very curious about the
2" edge radius and how it would compare to the standard toroids most of us
have been creating.  Thanks for your feedback on my post.

Chuck Curran