[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor Designs

From: 	Matt Mills[SMTP:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net]
Reply To: 	Matt Mills
Sent: 	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 7:58 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Capacitor Designs

Hi,

  I'm in the process of making my first coil (hope you dont get
  annoyed by the number of questions i ask(can never be too informed))
  and I have a few more questions.
  I hear that rolled poly caps are the most ideal for a TC but in the
  mean time before i go ahead and spend all my money building several
  of these, I would like to make some salt water caps or vertically
  stacked caps.

  In regards to salt water caps.....

  1.   Is salt best or is there some other chemical i can use (I have no
       problem getting chemicals)

  2.   What shape bottle is best? I have aquired a dozen 2.5Litre acid
       bottles (hydrochloric acid or solvents came in them) they are
       approx. 12" high and 7" diameter with the neck starting about
       2" down. They are dark coloured (I believe they are called
       winchesters).

                     _-_-_
                     |   |
                   _/     \_
                  |         |
                  |         |   (knowing my luck this wont turn out
                  |         |     right!!)
                  |         |
                  |_________|

  3.   How far down should the bolt be from the bottom? does size of
       bottle and size of bolt change the capacitance/performance?
       Are galvanised bolts ok?

  4.   Is any type of Oil ok?

  In regards to flat plate vertically stacked caps......

  1.   I hear these are quite good performance wise and simple to
       make, How do you connect multiple plates in parallel to
       increase capacitance?  Is there a good design out there?  I
       seem to have found plenty of texts on rolled caps and also on
       salt-water caps and only one on plate caps (cap3.txt).  Does
       anyone have much expereience with these.  I can get hold of a
       commercial vcuum pump if needed.

Recently I asked about using rotary vacuum pump oil in rolled caps and
I'm not sure if anyone answered as my email server had problems and I
lost 77 messages.  Did anyone reply?

       Matt                          mailto:megavolt-at-usa-dot-net