[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More help on caps

From:	Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:	Tuesday, November 11, 1997 8:45 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: More help on caps

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Chris,

Certainly the least expensive route will be the salt-water caps. Even
though they are inefficient, they WILL get you going and your coil will
create respectable sparks! If Win Tesla recommends 0.0066 uF, it sounds
like you may have a 12,000 30 MA neon transformer. Most of these design
aid programs try to size the cap to the HV power source impedance. While
this is important, it is very important that the primary be sized
properly so that, in combination of your tank cap, you can match the
resonant frequency of secondary and toroid. If you arbitrarily size the
secondary and primary and solve for matching resonant frequencies, you
may end up needing a tank capacitor that's too large for the transformer
you've got. This may be why you've gotten the other, higher, tank cap
values. What sizes of secodary, toroid, and primary are you thinking
about using? And what does Win Tesla indicate for these?

BTW, units of measure for capacitance have undergone evolution over the
years, and the use of older and newer conventions can sometimes be
confusing. Typical units for capacitance and their preferred
abbreviations are:
 Farad = F
 MilliFarad = mF = 10^-3 F
 MicroFarad = uF or MF = 10^-6 F  (uF preferred)
 NanoFarad  = nF = 10^-9 F
 PicoFarad or MicromicroFarad = pF, uuF, or MMF = 10^-12 F (pF
preferred)

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --