[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bought caps

From:	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 12, 1997 12:44 PM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	Re: bought caps

<<
 I have used them (foolishly perhaps) beyond their peak ratings in a
 disruptive coil. In fact, on occasions they suffered 50% over the
 peak rating although not at high rep rates. They are still going
 strong. In the end, I set the safety gap to about 15% over peak.
 Their robustness and discharge quality was impressive.

 FWIW,
 Malcolm

Malcolm,

How did you determine where 50% over the peak rating was in terms of the
spark gap setting?  I have a spark gap across my C.P. cap made of #10 solid
copper wire with loops bent on each end that are 1.0" diameter, no sharp
edges.  The cap from Condenser Products is rated for 20 kv AC, Tesla coil
use.  I currently have the gap set at 5/8" and have not destroyed the cap.
 How wide do you think I can safely open up this gap?  Of course, the wider
this gap is, the better the coil performs.  I adjust primary power and rotary
gap speed so that the safety gap just quits firing.  I have quite a bit of
room to input more power - but sure don't want to kill another cap.  I think
overvoltage is probably what killed the first two.

Ed Sonderman