[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil efficiency

From:	John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 12:04 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: Coil efficiency

At 02:46 PM 11/11/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

 Note that "power processing" is confusing terminology when discussing
efficiencies of Tesla coils. Efficiency is "energy out" divided by "energy
in". Tesla coils can magnify power so it is possible to cheat when using
power for efficiency. This is how free energy devices can be made to appear
legitimate.

  I agree that assigning an amount of energy to a TC spark is probably not
possible to indicate TC output. But controlled spark lengths can be used.  I
have not found anyone who has offered an alternative that coilers would be
willing to use.

  I still believe that a continuous horizontal spark to a ground point
(controlled spark) is the best way to indicate TC output energy. This is for
TC ratings and comparisons, not TC efficiencies. The TC input is no problem.
That can be accomplished with proper metering and is resonably understood by
many coilers.

  Giving a Tesla coil an efficiency rating is tricky business because of the
problem of testing for the output energy. I show one method in the Tesla
Coil Notebook which is based on some empirical reasoning. There are other
possibllities.

  As for controlled atmosphere,  standard air corrections could be used as
in many other scientific and engineering fields. But I don't believe TC
ratings are that critical.

  Your 10 inch output coil and 3 foot discharge coil would have different
energy inputs. If these inputs are properly metered you could rate your
coils in watt seconds per foot of spark. This is what coilers are now doing.
The problem is the sparks are not continous but one of a kind rare extra
long sparks. There is no way of determining the input energy for that type
of spark when several  bangs and sparks are involved.

  John Couture