[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Science Fair Project

From:	Andrew Chin [SMTP:chinny-at-ozemail-dot-com.au]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 6:18 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: Science Fair Project

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

This message is directed to the original poster.

I have built a relatively low powered spark generator by using an
automotive ignition coil.  Its input voltage is whatever the coil's
operating voltage is supposed to be, i.e. 12V or 6V, and it is driven by
a 555 timer (via a power transistor) running at 120Hz or thereabouts.  I
am able to get spark lengths up to 20mm with this simple design.

With a bit of modification to the circuit (heavier output transistor,
etc.) you could possibly put a higher voltage into the coil.

If anyone is interested, please e-mail me for a circuit diagram.

Andrew Chin    chinny-at-ozemail-dot-com.au