[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid Design Features

From:	Gomez [SMTP:gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 8:50 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	Re: Toroid Design Features

Okay folks, I'm going to stick my neck out and make an offer. I don't know if
it will turn out to be cheap enough for others to afford, but here goes.

I build Tesla coils for a living.  (well actually, I used to, but I changed
jobs, and now I consult for the original company- I do the design work,
they do the grunt work, I get royalties)

Anyway, for our large Tesla coil, we have just had spinning forms for a
24" x 6" toroid made.  I wish now it had been a 30" x 8" or even (maybe) a
30" x 10" form, but hindsight is 20-20, eh?

I haven't got the final quote on the spun article, plus the cost of welding the
two halves together and sanding the weld bead, but I expect it to come in
under $200.  This beats hell out of the $700+ that Ross Engineering wants
for their finished toroids.  Would anyone be interested in some toroids near
this price?  BTW, they are _0.080_inch_aluminum_, that's right, eighty
thousandths, so they are rugged as hell.  You needn't worry about denting
your beautiful toroid unless you drop it from a roof-top.

Also, we have the forms for some not-quite perfect toroids (the
cross-section of the ring is slightly flat on the top, bottom, and sides, but
is well- rounded). These are 16"x4".  I am considering asking the spinner
to turn down the tool slightly to make the ring perfectly round, if he can do
that without sending the form back to the tool-maker.  And if he's willing
to do it.  That tool was made for another customer, although the customer
probably will never need it again.  I get these spun and welded (usually in
quantities of ten or more) for around $125. We use them on our smaller
TC product.

-Gomez

--
Gomez: certifiable mad scientist, extreme fetishist, fiction dabbler,
pyrophiliac, technomage, goth, faan, lighting designer, dominant