[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A C.P. death in the family

From:	Steve Roys [SMTP:sroys-at-umabnet.ab.umd.edu]
Sent:	Thursday, November 13, 1997 11:47 AM
To:	Tesla List
Subject:	A C.P. death in the family

 Hey Guys,

I think I've done toasted my Condenser Products cap that I got a few
years ago as part of the group deal.  I had it stored out in my unheated
garage with my coil, and when I cranked everything up a few weeks ago, it
worked for about 5 seconds, then everything just stopped sparking.  When I
unhooked the cap and looked at it a little closer, it wasn't sloshing
around at all, so I guess the cold had solidified the oil or whatever,
which led to a dielectric failure.  Now that I've had it in the house
where it's all warm and toasty, it sloshes around again, but it's still dead.

Regardless of "why", the fact remains that it's gone.  Which leads me to
ask the question:

Has anyone gotten anything out of Condenser Products other than having
them say they will look at the caps to see why they fail?

If the answer to this question is no, then I'm inclined to just pop it
open myself to see if there's anything that I can do to salvage it.  It
used to be a nice .025uF cap, but it now measures about .069 uF (if I
remember right), and it doesn't do squat in my coil.

Steve.