[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kraft paper for capacitors

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 8:56 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Cc: 	huffman-at-FNAL.GOV
Subject: 	Re: Kraft paper for capacitors

Dave,
Bake or iron it if you want, but do not BURN it. Any charring
of the paper will create carbonization, which is very
detrimental. I have never baked my paper at all. I just
soak it in oil (actually I paint the oil on). But if
you really want to drive any moisture out, you are
better off doing it with hot air over several hours
than a quick bake at high temperature. When I DO want to
remove moisture from things like PVC pipe and such, I use
a small electric heater in a BIG box, placed far away from
everything else. The item to be heated is placed in the
same box, preferably on some sort of platform so that
it is not in contact with the floor (which would suck
the heat away). Observe safety and keep the heater away
from the box walls. If I have a tall box I try to get the
item to be dried up as high as possible, as the warm air
rises. Again, you want the air quite warm, but NOT so hot
that anything in the box gets scorched. You really do
NOT need a fire in your garage!

I have never used poster paper. If the paper is COATED,
do not use it. The coating will soften in oil and give
you problems. Kraft paper is best.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee