[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Medhurst problem

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, November 15, 1997 5:19 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Medhurst problem

At 02:53 PM 11/14/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

 Joshua -

  There are several fomulas for finding the final output voltage for Tesla
coils that are shown in the Tesla Coil Design Manual.

  One of the formulas is     Vs = A x Vp x sqrt(Ls/Lp)

  "A" is a variable that is involved in all of the final output voltage
formulas. It includes Q factor, K factor, efficiency, etc.  The problem is
to find the value for "A" which is very difficult if not impossible.  How
would you use this output voltage? The JHCTES TC computer program finds an
approximation for this voltage and uses it to estimate the insulation
necessary for the secondary coil wiring.

  After the Tesla coil is completed the final output voltage can be measured
by connecting some type of metering device to the output terminal but this
will greatly reduce the voltage by an unknown amount. The best method is to
use a device that will measure the electric field strengh with a remote
probe. But this requires calibrating the device and that also involves
difficulties.

  Any output voltage that coilers decide on has the advantage that it can
not be easily questioned by critics.

  John Couture