[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ferrite types and chokes

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, November 16, 1997 12:13 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Ferrite types and chokes

>>Also, does anyone know the difference between the different types/grades
>>of ferrites?   I am most interest in the frequency ranges and
>>*permeability* values.  Does the tesla list have a nice table for this,
>>as it does for dielectric constants?
>
>Amidon sells ferrite toroids, rods, e-cores, etc.  They sell in small
>quantities, no minimum order, and have a very good technical guide on the
>web at http://www.bytemark-dot-com/amidon/index.htm

I visited here, and from what I gathered it seems that the super high
permeability W and H materials are most well suited to attentuating
frequencies in the operating range of small to medium-large tesla coils
(under 1MHz).  For W material, initial permeability is given as 10000,
with a maximum of 20,000.  The only thing that seems potentially
undesireable about these materials is that they both have low curie temps
(125 and 120 deg.C) so that it would be very important that these chokes
not get hot.

Any thoughts?  What are people using now for RF choke materials?

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net
Epoch, Inc. Digital Music Project