[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Unpotting transformer

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 17, 1997 3:05 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Unpotting transformer

On Sunday, November 16, 1997 4:20 PM  Lorenzo De Toro III
[SMTP:loren13-at-netside-dot-net]

> Alfred, much has been said on this list as of late on this procedure; my
> question is just what is the advantage of unpotting a transformer which is
> in good working shape? (I know that in many cases it can revive dead units)
>
> I'm currently working on my first real coil - I will be using 9K 30mA neon
> transformer unit and am wondering if it is worth the effort to 'unpot'.

Hi Lorenzo, people generally don't go unpotting their transformers when
their in good working, although it has been done. The general reason to
unpot a transformer is to make it more it more robust and less prone to
breakdown, also one can remove a few the plates comprising the magnetic
shunts and get more current out of the transformer but it is unwise to
remove too many.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/