[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

lots of questions??

From: 	Raymond C. Howes[SMTP:rchowes-at-email.msn-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 17, 1997 8:31 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	lots of questions??

My name is Ray,

I wrote a letter a couple of weeks ago as first coil and help?
Recieved lots of good info thanks!
First coil up and running but would like to really nail every down.
I may have made a mistake on the winding of my secondary, through the files
off of the net, I read that the primary and secondary should be wound in the
same direction.

What kind of results do you get when you wind the secondary in the opposite
direction?

Reading on the bottle caps, what size beer bottles are being used 12, 16, 32
oz?

I have no electric measuring instruments except for the basic voltmeter. I'm
using 6 32oz vinergar bottles,can anybody give me an idea of their values?
uf.
Using one of the calculation methods I came up with .002 uh per
bottles,having 6 bottles in parallel eqauls .012. right?

I did have 8 stationary spark gaps and found to get  longer streamers with
only 2 gaps.

Having 8 spark gaps, were the bottles being charged to much? and or losing
thier charge to soon?

When wiring the base( transformer,chokes, spark gaps,wire to caps,and wire
to primary) What size wire should be used,solid, or braided?  #12,#14 and so
on?

I'm only using 1-15kv-at-30ma for now and keeping the other one for a spare
until I get everything figured out properly.

 Primary iner dia. is 8"   1/2" between turns total of 10 turns. Secondary
is 4.5"x 20"
with #24 wire configured to wintesla calculations.

Sorry about all the questions. The only way I'm going to learn anything is
to ask a lot
of questions no matter how silly they are.

How exspensive is the equipment  used in measuring tesla coils? hv meters
and capacitors?

                                    I really appreciate the help earlier
with first coil and help letter
                                                also the viyln info