[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, November 19, 1997 6:03 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Best Secondary Surface coating

<<
 I am in the process of putting together a new coil and was planning on
 using polyurethane to coat the secondary. Is this a good coating
 material or not? I was planning on coating a portion of the sec form and
 then winding the wire over the wet coat of poly. Then I could coat over
 the top. Another main factor in this is cost (like ~$0). I already have
 lots of polyurethane from doing woodworking. Comments on polyurethane as
 a secondary coating?

 Tristan Stewart

Tristan,

I used polyurethane (oil based) on both of my coils.  Works great and it is
durable.  The large coil uses a pvc form so I applied several coats on the
form first, then let it dry then layed on the wire then applied several more
coats.  These were wound on a lathe and the polyurethane was applied and
allowed to dry with the lathe turning to avoid sagging and drips.  I would
let the base coats dry first.  If you try to wind the wire on when it is wet,
I think you will end up with a big mess.  I don't really see any advantages
to doing it that way.

Ed Sonderman