[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Air Temp/Humidity and Spark Length

From: 	Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz[SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent: 	Thursday, November 20, 1997 11:08 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Air Temp/Humidity and Spark Length

Hi,

Humidity certainly affects the formation of sparks. I have more
experience with electrostatic generators, and what I observe is
that loooong sparks can only be obtained in very dry air. With
humid air, apparently the charges escape more easily to the air,
and even if the generator is carefully dried with hot air, what is
obtained instead of long sparks is only a bluish glow at the
high-voltage terminals.
In the case mentioned, the exposition to humid air
can explain the bad results outdoors. Reducing the size of the
terminal may have increased the strength of the electrical field
around the toroid, causing a spark, even at lower voltage.
Or simply the air humidity decreased at that time.

--
Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz