[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE- coil form questions

From: 	Randy Venable[SMTP:randy-at-gte-dot-net]
Reply To: 	randy-at-gte-dot-net
Sent: 	Thursday, November 20, 1997 11:08 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: RE- coil form questions

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

I realize that; I was concerned about the electrical characteristics
of the resin per se; dielectric strength problems, distributed C,
moisture affinity (yes, I would seal it after turning it to its final
shape, its present form has a very irregular surface due to the winding
"crosshatch" type pattern) etc.

<snip>
>                 How much strength does it take to hold an
>                 aluminum torous and a length of #26 (or whatever)
>                 wire?
>
>         So --
>
>         My answer to you is:  Yes.  It's acceptable.
>
>         My question to you is:  Why the hell would anyone bother?

Answer: Because I can lay my hands on two tapered fiberglass poles.
        Each approx 27' in length, tapering from eight inches down
        approximately four inches. I would guess that it would take
        considerable strength to support a torus suitable for such
        a beast, given twenty-seven feet of leverage.
        I realize that this is a bit of an odd h/d ratio, but, hell,
        I can dream, can't I?

> TL>2.What about tapered coil forms; any problems here?
>
>         Dr. Tesla liked them.  They were quite popular up into
>         the 1920s or so.   Very traditional.  Like gutta percha.
>
> TL>3.What about those orange "road cones" for traffic control. The usual
> TL>  variety that I see are one-piece semi-rigid or rather floppy, but I
> TL>  have seen 2-piece (base,cone) type that are somewhat stiffer.
>
>         You can answer this for yourself after you answer these
>         three questions of mine:
>
>         1) Have you read today's posts on various polymers and
>            their suitability for Tesla-work?
A:Not yet.

>         2) Do you recall Michael's Pyro-organoleptic Test for
>            identifying polymers?
>
>                 Hint:  You burn it and sniff it.  Then Compare
>                        the aroma with that of known specimens.

A:I am not about to intentionally inhale fumes from burning synthetic
  compounds. A friend of mine got a good whiff off of heated (not
  burning) PVC. It's not clear whether he actually lost consciousness
  or not, but, close enough. I am sure there is a bevy of -aldehydes
  and cyanides and various other bugaboos just waiting to happen.

>         3) Of what substance are the traffic cones made?

A: I have no idea. Was hoping a list member could offer up such info.

>                                         Coiling-on, in
>                                         -- Detroit, USA
>
>                                         Robert Michaels

Thanks for your reply; that's the answer I was after!
Much appreciated!
Randy