[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to tune my TC

From: 	D.C. Cox[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, November 24, 1997 6:33 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: How to tune my TC

to: Rusty

It's easy just to tune up at low power setting (20-30%) by using a variac
to control the input power.  Start by making one turn adjustments at low
power, then repeat procedure with 1/2 turn adjustments, then 1/4 turn, and
finally divide it once again to 1/8th turn.  Next bring up to full power.
The electric field is now larger which creates more ions and larger sparks
which lower the sec freq slightly.  Usually a 1/8 out of the primary will
compensate for this effect.  The whole procedure usually takes only about
30 minutes with a variac.  If you don't have one perhaps a local university
would "lend" you one for a 1 day tuning marathon.  Have fun and don't
forget to unplug the power BEFORE EACH TAP ADJUSTMENT.  Don't cut corners
here or you could become a "former" Tesla coil builder.  Best to have a
friend around to help turn the lights on/off for you -- best to tune at
night as you can see the electric corona better.