[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 555 / timer / driver

From: 	DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, November 24, 1997 12:06 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: 555 / timer / driver

Hi Matthew,

      Just a quick note here ---
I got the schematic ---
   Are you using a standard 12 volt coil or a high energy coil ?
A standard coil requires a condenser  across the points (.22ufd or
thereabouts)
 ---- its mission is two fold ---   it keeps the points from being destroyed
-- but more importantly ,it and the primary of the coil form
a series resonant circuit ---the frequency of which
is fairly standard  but may vary a bit from manufacturer
to manufacturer ---- so the coil and condenser should be matched.
   Also some coils require a ballast resistor ----
   The schematic  has the polarity of the coil reversed ---
--- the (+) goes to the ignition & ( -) to the points (gnd)
unless it has to do with Lord Lucas ( British)  in which case
 it is positive  earth--in either case the polarity of the high
voltage is negative in automotive applications -else the spark plugs
don't last too long .
    The inductive "kick " from the reversed polarity on the
coil is what is killing you I think ----

hope this helps ,
                          Sandy

in a message dated 97-11-23 22:02:13 EST, you write:

<< Subj:	 Re: 555 / timer / driver